For those of you who have sailed Seabourn in the past, you know the breadsticks are a huge hit. This recipe serves 10 but in our house just 1. We roll these out by hand and cut them right on the baking sheet before they go into the refrigerator.
¼ cup of all purpose flour
1 tbsp. of water
1 ¼ tbsp. of butter
¼ tsp. of salt
½ tsp. of yeast
¼ tsp. of sugar
1 egg yolk + 1 tbs. of water (egg wash)
Variations: Course salt, sesame seeds, roasted onion, ground anise, mixed fresh herbs, hazelnuts, garlic, cajun spice
1. Blend the butter (soft), salt, sugar, yeast, and flour together. Mix well to form dough.
2. Flatten the dough on a sheet tray, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 24 hours.
3. Take a small handful of the dough and roll out through a regular Pasta machine at number 3.
4. Cut into small pieces and roll through Pasta machine, using the fettuccine blade. (or cut ¼ thin strips with a knife)
5. Lay on the sheet tray, keep at room temperature for one hour, egg wash and sprinkle with course salt (see variations)
6. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees until golden brown.